|Dancer by Eadweard J. Muybridg|
The biggest thing being, I changed the medium that I had been doing my paintings in. I had been using oil to do my work and I was thinning it down with a lot of mineral spirits which was leading to a stinky house and headaches. This was not good....So I am now doing my work in watercolor and gouache. This is great. The paintings feel a bit lighter and my drawings shine through instead of being covered up with paint. I'm finding it easier to work this way and I am able to create more details in my work. I will admit, it is a bit of an adjustment but I think medium change was a epiphany that needed to happen. And I am glad it happened now instead of 6 months from now.
Saying this, I'm still working (and reworking) the paintings I was working on last month but they are coming along and I must say it "just feels right".
So what else did I figure out in August?
My August Goals:
- I started a mini book...yay! I'm pretty excited about it. You can read about it in the post below.
- I joined The Creative Empire in August and it has been amazing. It is a wonderful group of creative people building their businesses and their dreams. There is so much great info posted on the site, and the people on it are really smart, inspiring and cool. The group is set up in a clever forum format which is super comfortable to participate in. There is a low monthly fee but it is totally worth it. I highly recommend it.
- I reworked the look of my blog. I think it looks so much better and I added a portfolio page.
- I did background for Twitter which is simple and fun..
- I started volunteering at the San Francisco Center for the Book which has been so amazing. I have been working with the PR staff and learning many things while earning credits toward free classes in letterpress and printing. What could be better? Not so much, I say...Also, I have my first volunteer spot helping out the folks at AIGA this week.
What shall September bring?
My September Goals:
- Finish up the paintings I have been working on.
- Work on the mini-book paintings and design.
- Continue reworking the blog in look and content.
- Work on a Halloween invite for a friend.
- Gather ideas for prints for an Etsy page.
- Learn how to do and Etsy page.
- Rework the text for the mini book.
- Gather ideas for postcard mailings.
- Get those damned business card done.
- Start a mailing list. Any tips on creating one?
What is the Meetup? It is a group of creative people who "meetup" monthly to set goals and inspire each other to get those goals done. For more information on joining visit Liz at athenadreams.